Tidbits of Garden Inspo #4 - Seed Saving & Getting Snuggly
We did, in fact, not get an extended summer with beautiful weather in September. Autumn has most definitely come to the prairies.
This has to be the shortest summer (weather wise) that I have experienced in a very long time. That said, my flower pots, sunflowers, hanging baskets, window boxes, as well as the tomatoes still all look perfect. Overgrown, a little bit wild and crazy, but fantastic. A typical look for a fall garden.
I love fall. It is my favourite season as it brings lovely colours to our trees, a bit of wild and wooly to our yards as we leave dying plants standing for the birds, ladybugs, and bees. A fabulous time of year.
Garden Things
This article from Houz 4 Elements of a Stunning Fall Garden has wonderful pictures and ideas to amp up your fall garden.
West Coast Seeds has a sale on their seeds right now, some up to 40% off.
How to Grow Eggplant From Seeds: 9 Essential Steps
September Gardening: Tasks & Tips - Home Garden Joy - Even though I know exactly what to do each month, each season, I still love to read other bloggers to-do lists, lol. Maybe you do, too?
Homey Things
Because fall is truly here on the prairies, we have had several frost warnings (luckily, the peppers and tomatoes are fine!), we have already adopted cosy flannel sheet on our beds.
(You guys, I am Canadian, so where others use a z, we use an s. Just in case you are wondering. Some adopt the American spelling, but it just feels and looks wrong to me : )
Other than that, we have turned on the furnace again and put out the fall wreath on the door. Just bought some fall mums today, in orange and red. That is it for fall prep thus far.
I know it might be kinda weird, but flannel sheets were on my mind this past week, so I had to share my thoughts. And those flannel blankets? The best things ever! Here are some ideas for flannel sheet shopping, at varying price points, in case you happen to be looking...
- For the least expensive sheets, check out your local Homesense, Jysk, and Wal-Mart.
- For a Canadian option, check out Simons Canada on line. They are bougie (and yes, the prices are fairly bougie, too, but you get what you pay for). The flannel sheets are sold separately, by the piece, in nice patterns. Great quality, actual cotton.
- Ps, due to the prices, I generally only shop for those extra special Christmas gift idea from Simons. Or, for any items that you cannot find elsewhere else. Like socks. Cotton knee highs. Where else would one go now that both the Bay and Sears are gone, eh? I really try to avoid polyester and am allergic to wool, so I search high and low for cotton everything.
- Then there is Amazon, of course. Not sure why most of their sheets come with log cabins or wilderness themes, but here are a couple of more staid options... no log cabin required - Tartan plaid set in soft grey and blue, Green & Brown Checkered Set, Grey plaid.
As an Amazon Associate, if you were to buy something through one of my links, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
Recipes
- Roast aubergine, tomato and fregola salad recipe - thinking of making this using orzo instead of the fregola. Just because I already have it at home and it is also a small pasta.
- Herb-crusted cod fillet recipe
- Easy Apple Fritter Bread Recipe - this looks easy and yummy.





Comments
Post a Comment